GHHS Alumni and Friends is partnering with the GHHS Sport Boosters, a 501(c)3 organization composed of parents, coaches, and other community members who have an interest in supporting ALL students and athletes of Gig Harbor high school.
GHHS Sport Boosters had recently concluded a highly successful auction and capital campaign that raised roughly $185,000 to update the Gig Harbor high school's work-out facility (weight room). Proceeds went 100% to the cause.
Imagine what more we could accomplish together with all the resources we could pull in. Rest assured that your contributions/donations directly benefit students and athletes of Gig Harbor high school.
A Letter of timeline of the weight room remodel:
When we took over the job of boosters in October 2021, we noticed that there was a balance of about $6,000.00 from the previous board, titled "weight room”. We, as a new board, decided to finish what the former board had started and hold a Capital Campaign/Auction for a new weight room. We wildly exceeded our expectations in April’s Auction and raised about $186,000.00! After paying for the costs of the auction, we had roughly $172,000.00 to use for improvements!
Once we had our totals, we began a step-by-step process:
· Washington Patriot Construction came in and made short order of the flooring issue. (Completed soon after the auction).
· We placed our equipment orders to Rogue Fitness, Precore, and Titan, reducing our balance to about $113,000. Those items began to arrive in June and the last of the items in August. We had one last order, finalized in July, which was the largest and most strategic, due to the size and installation requirements. The anticipated arrival date was 7-9 months from date of purchase; however, we received them early- Merry Christmas, GHHS Weightroom! The racks, benches, and weight holders cost us $76,000, leaving us with about $37,000. These items are warehoused in Seattle, until painting is finished, which was expected to start 12/19.
· The floor(purchased) will have NEW, 3/4” mats, to absorb energy from falling weights and/or humans. (Stored in Bremerton until the painting is completed).
· The custom donor plaque will be installed, after the construction and installation of equipment. After these last couple of items were paid for, we were left with roughly $15,000.
· But wait, there’s MORE! We have new lighting, mirrors (that’s right, MIRRORS! Football and wrestling, we are looking at you!) that will take the rest of the bank! (Installed after walls painted, floor and equipment installed)
Each of these steps were required to make the necessary improvements to the weight room. GHHS Sport Boosters acquired the funds through a parent VOLUNTEER, Capital Campaign/auction, which was a great success! We helped with the hiring of the contractors for specific work, such as Washington Patriot Construction for flooring (completed) and managed/ordered the equipment requested/agreed upon by coaches and admin (completed). The LABOR completion of each of these steps (fix old floor, remove old equipment, paint, install new mats, assemble new equipment, install/put new weight room together, install donor plaque, mirrors, lights, stereo etc.) however, are the responsibility of the Peninsula School District and Gig Harbor High School- both have identified a team, to help us deliver our promise of a New Weight Room to the students of GHHS! As this journey concludes, we, the Boosters, want to thank all of you, for your help, support, and your donations, along the way. There will be a planned ribbon cutting ceremony, once the project is completed. We will share the time/date via our social media platforms!